Monday, November 4, 2013

What just happened??

So I'm a big sports guy.  I like watching, and I do follow several teams.  I'm a fan of the Boston Bruins, Boston Red Sox, Oakland Raiders and Boston Celtics.  I am also a fan of several specific players, and I will root for those individual players so long as it does not conflict with the teams for which I root.  Now I know that some of my teams will lose more often than they will win.  The Celtics and the Raiders are two of those teams.  But the Raiders loss yesterday was insane!  How do you give up SEVEN TOUCHDOWN PASSES AND A PERFECT PASSER RATING TO A BACKUP?!?!?!?!  It made me sad.  More for Charles Woodson than for anyone else.  He could have gone to another team that had a much better chance of winning it all, or at least making it to the playoffs.  He's one of my all-time favorite players.  Quick list of all-time favorite football players:
1.  Rod Woodson (Steelers, 49ers, Ravens, Raiders)
2.  Darrell Green (20 years with the Redskins and was the fastest man in the NFL for all of them)
3.  Charles Woodson (Raiders, Packers, Raiders)
4.  Howie Long (Raiders)
5.  Dexter Manley (Redskins, Buccaneers)
6.  Barry Sanders (Lions- retired at age 32 way before his time)
7.  Tim Brown (Raiders,one year with the Bucs after they crushed the Raiders in Tim's only Super Bowl)
8.  Art Monk (Redskins)
9.  Jerry Rice (49ers, Raiders, Seahawks, Broncos- but only for camp because he got cut.)
10. Wes Welker (Chargers, Dolphins, Patriots, Broncos)

Random, I know.  And yes, there is a pattern of Raiders players and defensive players as well.  But I prefer good defense, and I liked playing defense when I played in high school.  So anyway, back to what I was saying.  I know my teams will lose more than they will win.  I'm fine with that.  I know that my team is not going to dominate every single game, I'm not a deluded Patriot fan who thinks that as long as they have Brady and Belichick they can never lose, I do not expect my team to get crushed.  I want them to be at least competitive.  Not giving up record amounts of points or touchdown passes.  Again, I can understand if they run into a team that's ripping through the league like a buzzsaw, like the '07 Patriot offense, or a Hall of Fame-bound player putting up ridiculous stats.  But a backup?  Makes me so disappointed.  But I'm looking forward to seeing them bounce back next week and hopefully get back towards at least a .500 season.  I'm super excited for this offseason because the Raiders have so much cap room for the first time and they can surround Pryor with a more stable offensive line (and get guys back from injuries) and perhaps a new receiver like Hakeen Nicks or maybe even Larry Fitzgerald (here's hoping!).  Just as long as they don't go crazy spending too much money on stupid contracts.  So let's see what happens.    

No comments:

Post a Comment